As a family we will walk through this difficult time together

Monday, August 27, 2012

Dreaded Recovery


Between the medical chaos and the relationship issues I don’t know how much more this  weak body can take but Im sure it will keep on coming. With that I will keep on trucking along. Don’t really see how 6 days have gone by already but it has, crazy enough.

 Saturday I took it extra easy since I taught myself a hard lesson on Friday doing too much. Sunday though I didn’t have much of a choice. Faith is in the PICU and is sharing a room, which I didn’t think kids did in the ICU. At rounds we fought for them to give her food since the poor girl is starving and wants to eat, screaming to eat.  They also put in an IV in her head which she had been in restraints that night so something they were going to be pulling since Lasix was the only thing they were using the IV for. The plan was to just give Lasix every 6 hours instead. That was about 10 and the IV was not working when they tested it before pulling it. We also got the go ahead to feed her 30ml every 3 hours of pedia sure.  The moment they got the IV out we mixed a bottle up. When we brought the bottle bed side and she screamed a scream I’ve never heard before. She took it with two hands and ate like I’ve never seen anyone before. The poor baby girl was and is starving. The day went downhill from there. She stopped peeing almost the same time, and then she started running a fever. All along she has been holding fluid in her legs and feet and also her abdomen, but as the day went on it got more and more full. With that she got more and more increasingly agitated. Then with that her lungs got wet requiring her to need more oxygen. Still no pee and so all tests were run and x-rays. The first to come back was the x-ray which ruled out pneumonia. Next was the blood draws that we won’t know anything for two days.

We were blessed when she was first in the NICU to have and meet Ryan McAdams. He was a blessing to us then and throughout this past year has been too. He has kept in constant contact and prayer for us, made it to Faiths birthday, was there when we were admitted when she got sick a few months ago. Then Saturday night when he came to check in he came when she was at her worst fever, vomiting, screaming, swollen, and not peeing.  He prayed with us and asked if Healy had been in or knew this was going on. Within 30 minutes of him leaving low and behold Healy showed up. He ordered this and that and demanded the up in Lasix and started it, and the pee came! The fever broke soon after and she went to sleep. At that point the room was empty besides us but getting ready for the third child to be admitted. I went to lie down since again as much I tried not to, I over did it. As I lay in bed waiting for Dan to get back from checking on Faith I could hear a child being airlifted in, and that is such a horrible feeling.

I was awoken this morning very rudely for that matter when I realized I slept through my alarms to take my pain meds. So in other words I was hurting and hurting bad. My dear Faith when we got there was somewhat asleep and her swelling in her legs had gone down some and she put out a lot of urine last night.  As I sat there with her waiting on rounds my eyes noticed the new child in the room. You know with certain kids that the road is not good. While standing there they gave the family the talk about his chance of survival, knowing all too well what it is like to be in their shoes. They did two bedside procedures just while we waited for the doctor to come back and hearing the family screaming and crying in the waiting room today was enough to take what I had left away. With all the commotion with this dear boy, and I think Faith screaming in the back ground, was too much for the doctors so we got moved to our own room.

Faiths belly is so big it is shiny and is so uncomfortable for her. SO much so that the sutures from the surgery are popping apart. SO now it is trying to get that fluid off of her to relieve the pain and pressure and then we can start to feed her. Such a long hill to still climb.


As for me I am now on antibiotics with an infection in one of the sutures from surgery which I have to go see a doctor for tomorrow. So we both have quite a road still to go so prayers please. And way to much to report for just 24 hours holy smokes. Off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment